Protecting sea turtle nests - Quingue and Galerita beaches
The Galera - San Francisco Marine Reserve is located in the south of the province of Esmeraldas and was declared the first continental marine reserve in Ecuador in 2008. Based on the scientific research carried out in the area, it was found that its richness in terms of of biodiversity is comparable to that of the Galapagos Islands.
Key activities of the project:
1. Monitoring beaches & removing plastic waste
2. Spotting the tracks of adult turtles
3. Identifying the exact nest location
4. Protecting the nest with natural materials, e.g. woods & stones
5. Follow-up monitorings until the hatching